What Is a Personal Injury?
A personal injury is an injury to the body, mind, or emotions, but does not include damage to personal property. For example, if you’re hit by a motorist, you have experienced a personal injury and might be entitled to legal compensation to treat your injury.
A personal injury is a tort claim that could be a result of negligence, intentional, or strict liability. A claim for personal injury can be filed against an individual, a business, or a corporation or a combination of parties. The two main aspects of personal injury are the amount of liability and/or damages received.
How Do I Know I Have a Serious Personal Injury?
A qualified legal professional can help you determine the extent of your injuries and damage as they qualify for a claim or lawsuit. Personal injury law is a complex set of laws that may require an attorney in order to receive maximum compensation.
Common personal injuries include spinal, brain, neck, whiplash, pain, and suffering. A personal injury attorney has the experience and expertise to deal with the applicable laws, courtroom proceedings, and negotiations with insurance companies.
How Do I File a Personal Injury Claim?
You can file a personal injury claim without an attorney in a small claims court, but it may be a difficult challenge to handle on your own. For cases involving more than a few thousand dollars in damages, most victims opt to hire an experienced personal injury lawyer. For the amount of money involved, most people don’t want to risk losing the case by representing themselves.
- An attorney will help you file within the strict statute of limitations associated with a personal injury claim.
- An attorney will know how best to fight the liable person and their insurance company.
- An attorney can help you file a personal injury claim against someone who is underinsured or without insurance.
What Is My Personal Injury Case Worth?
Your damages and the compensation for them is determined by a multiplier that an attorney is qualified to calculate.
- The worth of your personal injury claim is based on your medical bills and how much you should receive for pain and suffering.
- Mental anguish is what a person has to endure as a result of the personal injury and results in additional compensation.
- Damages may include the loss of wages, hospitalization, and/or additional out-of-pocket expenses.
- An attorney can get you the maximum amount of compensation that you deserve for your personal injury.
Thousands of people fall victim to serious, or even fatal personal injuries each year. Young adult drivers are more likely to become a victim of personal injuries due to motor vehicle accidents. Pedestrians are also the leading victims of personal injuries claims against motorist
Talk to a Personal Injury Lawyer
Do not sign any legal agreements without at least considering talking to an attorney beforehand. They may be able to negotiate you a higher settlement amount. In this way and others, a personal injury lawyer can defend your legal rights. If you have suffered a serious injury you deserve maximum compensation for your damages.
The legal firm of Rispoli & Borneo, P.C. has successfully represented many personal injury cases. Our attorneys are here to help. Contact Rispoli & Borneo, P.C. today for a free initial consultation.